Monday, December 13, 2010

Wishing You a Sing it Yourself Messiah and Other Musical Escapades

Music is transcendent.  My high school used to host a Messiah sing for students and alumni in the days when we still referred to the activities of the season as Christmas Vacation and The Christmas Concert.  And while I'm all for tolerance and respect the changes and diversity tolerance has brought into our lives, there are days when I wax nostalgic for what seemed like simpler times... hey I was pretty simple back then.  I was 15.  Anyway.  Tonight a friend and I went to sing the Messiah with about 500 like minded amateur singers.  And the magic happened.  We were not all in tune all the time and we certainly didn't all sing the right notes all the time, but when a group of people come together to make music the world resonates with joy.  If everyone who ever was in a high school choir or played in an orchestra or band would take out their instrument and find others to share music with them, the world would be a better place.  You gotta make it yourself or it doesn't work. 

No comments: