- No research exists to support the old advice about studying
- Use the same quiet place
- Study according to a routine schedule
- Set goals and boundries
- Recent studies call for more actual research about learning styles theory
- NPR Talk of the Nation has an article about Master Teachers that can be heard here
- More ideas about the craft of teaching Uncommon Schools Networks
- Master teacher demonstrates classroom control http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=124532654
Tuesday, September 14, 2010
The New York Times has published a review of study skills and learning styles: Forget What You Know About Good Study Habits. Sept. 6, 2010. In summary
According to the "New York Times Magazine", 20 somethings are delaying adulthood: avoiding the checklist items of adulthood like the plague. Fewer than 1/2 of women and 1/3 of men have passed the 5 classic milestones of adulthood by age 30.
- Mortgage? Not possible if we want to move every year
- Financial independence? Waiting for a job that's both meaningful and relevant.
- Finish school? Would I have to matriculate?
- Marriage? Forgetaboutit. Why buy the cow if you can get the milk for free.
- Children? Wait, I'm the child here.